Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Look Inside

After tooling around the park today, I realized that people are really interested in checking out the interior. I'm still not particularly graceful about getting in and out, so I figured I could post up some pictures here to show off the velo's interior.
Here you can see my really classy seat modification, the steering columns/gear-shifters/brakes, and speedometer. The seat is a fiberglass form not unlike the shape of a car seat. The regular "cover" is an acrylic-net-covered very thin pad. It's itchy and uncomfortable, but wicks away sweat pretty well. I decided I'd rather sweat and be comfy, so I bought some posh (and expensive!) foam at Joanne Fabrics and fashioned a seat cushion of my own. For now, I'm keeping it on the seat using an old velo-t-shirt of my father's. The silver things with the blue cloth around the bases are the steering columns. You pull the right one toward you to turn right, and the left toward you to turn left. At the top, you see little levers for changing gears. The right side controls the rear cogs, the left the big rings up front. There are twenty-one speeds, but I generally hang out in the middle in the front and back. The black levers you see sticking out from the columns are the brakes, which are just like the brakes on a bicycle, though the front wheels are disc breaks, since they're side-mounted rather than set between a fork like on a regular bike.This is a pretty straight-forward interior view. You can see the pedals there, which are pretty cool because they're clip-ins on one side and regular pedals on the other. I might look into buying a pair of clip shoes since I can't fall off this bike when I can't unclip, but for now I use the standard side.
Here you can see inside the nose cone. There are the front cogs, the pedals, and the trunk space that's up front. I can also tuck things beside and behind the seat.

Hope you enjoyed the tour of the inside of the velomobile. Let me know if there are any parts you'd like to learn more about through pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment